The TryEngineering Summer Institute is an inspiration in so many ways, helping students find their calling in the wonderful world of engineering. From design challenges to dorm living, students at the Summer Institute experience life on a college campus, get their feet wet in a promising field, and meet new friends who care about the same things they do.
For a glimpse of what you or your teen will experience this summer, check out these nine things you might find at one of our programs, and register today — spaces are limited!
Remember: “Early bird” special savings ends February 22, 2019.
9: Hands-on engineering lessons
Getting their hands on a project is the best way to learn.
8: Smiling faces
Student enjoy camaraderie in the classroom, working in teams to complete their projects.
7: Supportive fellow students
Students work together and push each other to succeed.
6: Superb story tellers
Spending time together in common areas on campus gives students time to connect outside of class.
5: Sunny outings
Students get off campus for fun outings to explore the surrounding area.
4: Time out for a friendly game of volleyball
Students have access to on-campus facilities for sports and other activities.
3: Photo-worthy field trips
Summer Institute students attend exclusive field trips to top engineering companies and centers for a glimpse at what their future could be like.
2: Cool treats
After all, it’s summer time!
1: Downtime fun
Sometimes just hanging out together creates some of the summer’s best memories. (Baby shark, do-do-do-do-do-do …)
Many New Year’s resolutions are about changing bad habits — eating less junk food, watching less television — but they don’t have to be. Sometimes the easiest resolutions to keep are the ones with a more positive spin.
If you’re a student entering grades 7-12 next fall who wants to make improvements and achieve specific goals, IEEE can help! Cross these 10 resolutions off during one amazing two-week experience at the TryEngineering Summer Institute:
- Try something new
- Get engineering experience
- Meet new people
- Boost my resume for my college application
- Learn new trending skills
- Find something to do this summer
- Research college campuses
- Visit a city I’ve never visited before
- Take my guidance counselor’s advice
- Learn from someone who does something I think I might like to do for a living
Parents, the Summer Institute can help you with your New Year’s resolutions, too! Enroll your student and cross these items off your list:
- Find something productive for my teen to do this summer
- Encourage my teen to pursue new interests
- Look for savings opportunities
In fact, here’s your first savings opportunity of the year: enroll your teen for the 2019 TryEngineering Summer Institute program before December 31, 2018, and save $200! IEEE Members, family and friends can save even more. Registration is open now.
Engineering students learn about engineering, of course. But they also gain skills that becomes transferable to a host of careers – some that may not even utilize the direct application of engineering principles!
An education in engineering teaches core skills that are highly employable across many different industries and professions. Therefore, employers are consistently interested in recruiting graduates of engineering programs.
When you explore or expand your education in engineering at the TryEngineering Summer Institute, you’ll be well on your way to developing these employable skills:
- Effective communication. By learning to present ideas in a confident, professional manner, engineering programs like the Institute prepare you for future communications with colleagues, bosses and the community.
- Competence in application and practice. As an engineering student, you’ll learn how to properly utilize engineering techniques, as well as relevant tools and programs.
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills. One of the most highly transferable employment skills you’ll develop is the ability to function effectively within a team and as the leader.
- Problem solving skills. You’ll learn to identify problems, use logic and reasoning to identify solutions, and use objectivity when approaching implementation of solutions.
- Understanding professional, social and ethical responsibilities. As a professional engineer, commitment to these principles is key.
- Lifelong learning. Engineering students are taught the importance of lifelong learning and acquiring new knowledge and skills to benefit your career.
Don’t wait to develop these skills. Registration for the 2019 TryEngineering Summer Institute program is now open. Learn more and enroll today!
Although we tend to focus on the very important engineering and technology education and on-campus living experience that TryEngineering Summer Institute students receive, our program is about so much more! It’s also about the deep personal growth students experience and take with them into the future.
Students who attend TryEngineering Summer Institute:
- Grow more independent: While well-supervised during their time away from home, teens at TryEngineering Summer Institute also practice making decisions for themselves. Having the ability to manage their daily choices in a safe environment helps them blossom in new ways.
- Practice compromise: Living with someone new in a dorm room and with an entirely new community in the residence halls gives students the opportunity to meet people with different points of view and life experiences. This creates opportunities for students to practice compromise and grow in their interactions with others.
- Make new friends: Free from the social expectations of a school environment, kids can relax and make friends a little more easily. They’ll meet people with similar interests to share their TryEngineering Summer Institute experiences with, and perhaps become lifelong friends. In fact, many former students tell us that they’re still in touch with the friends they made last year through social media!
- Acquire collaboration and presentation skills: Our curriculum includes plenty of opportunities for students to work together and present their projects to others. Learning to collaborate and present their ideas will help them in their future interactions at home and school, as well as in future work environments.
- Learn about degree and career options: More than just hands-on engineering design challenges, TryEngineering Summer Institute students also learn about the degree and career options available in the engineering field. Engineering offers many job options and a strong career path with huge growth potential. Students that attend get a taste of a very bright future that is available to them.
Don’t let your child miss out on this amazing educational experience! It’s perfect for those with an interest in engineering, as well as anyone who is just beginning to explore this fascinating field.
Registration is now open. Learn more and register for the TryEngineering Summer Institute today!
It’s never too early to make summer plans for your teen, especially when there are serious benefits to doing so! TryEngineering Summer Institute offers students so many perks — experiencing college living, learning from exceptional instructors, visiting exciting engineering sites, participating in fun and educational hands-on design challenges — and even more for those who register early.
Here are six reasons to solidify your teen’s summer plans now:
- Early registration discount: Why spend more when you don’t have to? When you register before December 31, 2018, you’ll save $200 off your registration. Returning students and IEEE Members can save even more. Register today and save!
- First pick of sessions: If you or your teen prefer one session over another, it’s important to register before your preferred session fills up. Get your first pick by registering early.
- Guaranteed spot: Make sure your teen has a spot at your first choice TryEngineering Summer Institute location — or any location! Don’t get wait-listed by waiting until the last minute.
- Less stress: Life is stressful enough without worrying about what your kids’ summer vacation holds — because you know you’re not letting them sit around and do nothing all summer!
- Smaller tuition payments: The earlier you register, the longer you have to pay off the balance due, which means you can split it into more payments.
- Time to schedule your own vacation: Many parents make plans for their own getaways while the kids are away at camp. Planning now gives you plenty of time to make reservations for yourself.
Check out all the fun we had last year!
Connect with your teen and learn more about TryEngineering Summer Institute together, then register today.