3D printing is one of the key future technologies, enabling businesses to cut costs, reduce time to market, produce stronger and lighter parts, improve efficiency, and solve a myriad of other challenges. That’s why it’s important for students to have an understanding of the technology in the 21st century global economy.
Today’s Students, Tomorrow’s Workforce
As the 3D printing industry grows, the landscape will change for job seekers, so it’s critical for today’s students to become fluent with the programs and machines required for 3D printing.
Jobs that are expected to be created or get a boost from 3D printing include:
- 3D Design: 3D printing relies heavily on designers who can take a product idea and translate it into something that can feasibly be brought to life.
- 3D Computer-aided Design (CAD) Modeling: CAD experts have the skills and expertise to convert product designs into digital blueprints that 3D printers need.
- Research and Development (R&D): Jobs will open up for forward-thinking R&D professionals who understand the intersection of tech and consumer products while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Biological and Scientific Modeling: More engineers, designers and modelers with biomedical or scientific backgrounds will be needed to further innovate and produce highly advanced 3D-printed products.
- Architecture/Construction Modeling: In the construction industry, 3D modelers may replace current 2D construction planning solutions.
- Education: Schools are developing 3D printing programs at all grade levels, which will open up jobs for educators with a background in the 3D printing industry who can teach the technical and business aspects of this technology.
- Lawyers and Legal Professionals: As a creative field, the 3D printing industry is wide open to legal issues, prompting a need for more lawyers and legal professionals who specialize in intellectual property (IP) rights.
- Business Opportunities: As 3D printing technologies advance and become readily accessible for in-home use, new business opportunities will increase for those offering on-site and remote 3D printing services, new product and industrial designers, and computer-aided design specialists.
- Franchise Opportunities: 3D-printing-as-a-service vendors can bring this technology to the masses by providing franchises to local businesses and entrepreneurs who’d like to provide personalized, in-person 3D printing services to local customers.
- Operations and Administrative Positions: As the industry grows, new and established 3D printing companies will need people to keep the business running smoothly, including operations and administrative staff, analysts, finance and sales professionals, and retail employees.
Your Students’ Opportunity to Learn
While not every child will become a scientist or engineer, it’s extremely important for children to “grow up knowing they can and how to use their abilities,” says Karol Górnowicz, CEO of Polish startup Skriware. “In addition to the obvious competencies focusing on engineering, mathematics and applied sciences, students need to think logically and creatively, solve problems or work in a group.”
That’s just what students will learn at this summer engineering program for high school students, you’ll explore various engineering fields, such as electrical, civil, mechanical, and aerospace. During each two-week program, students will have the opportunity to participate in hands-on activities like 3D printing, gain exposure to team-based learning, and explore engineering professions, all while experiencing college life on one of three prestigious campuses. Our engineering summer camp allows for you to meet and work alongside real life professional engineers, which can be a rewarding experience not found at other engineering camps.
(25 April 2018). Agenda Announced for Inside 3D Printing Conference & Expo Seoul. TMCNet.
Mendoza, Hannah Rose. (26 April 2018). Interview with Karol Górnowicz, CEO of Skriware on Release of Destination: Mars Educational Program. 3DPrint.com.
Angeles, Sara. (18 Sept 2013). 10 3D Printing Jobs On the Rise. Business News Daily.