Your Future in Action
At the TryEngineering Summer Institute summer engineering program for high school students, you’ll explore various engineering fields, such as electrical, civil, mechanical, and aerospace. Our STEM summer course allows you to meet working engineers and experience VIP tours of engineering companies and centers. Learn new skills and engage in hands-on projects that explore how engineers can solve real-world problems.
The TryEngineering Summer Institute is a program from IEEE, the world’s largest professional association for the advancement of technology. Our more than 417,000 members in 160 countries, including more than 120,000 student members, help us provide the trusted "voice" for engineering, computing and technology information around the globe via highly-cited publications, conferences, technology standards and professional and educational activities. Our curriculum is created specifically for this program by IEEE STEM summer specialists.
For this summer 2023, we have confirmed these trips:
- NASA's Johnson Space Center - Insider tour with NASA Engineers and behind-the-scenes sneak peek (for students at TESI - Rice University)
- Boeing Ridley Park - Touring production line of the H-47 and V-22 Osprey and more (for students at Penn)
- Qualcomm - This high tech company provides a tour of the manufacturing facilities, meet and greet with working engineers, a Q+A session, and a chance to see the history of their products (for students at USD)
"The overall experience was awesome and I would definitely recommend it to my friends. Some of the highlights: the flight simulator and the field trip to the World Trade Tower and ConEdison. Getting out and about was nice and it took the classroom to the real world." - former student
Our Engineering Program
TESI gives students ages 13-17 the opportunity to explore a variety of engineering disciplines in a fun, hands-on way. The program is ideal for students who are considering a degree or career in engineering, as well as for those that are curious to learn more. Whether your teen is brand new to engineering, or has taken a few classes in school, every student will have fun tackling a variety of engineering design challenges while developing skills in engineering, communication, and consensus-building. The program is designed by IEEE STEM summer specialists specifically for our TryEngineering Summer Institute.
Students participate in team-based, hands-on design challenges, hear from and interact with working engineers, and experience exciting off-campus field trips to local engineering sites.
The program is perfect for those who want to:
- Find out how engineering is applied in the real world, and how it’s shaping our future.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary projects in electrical, civil, mechanical, aerospace and other engineering disciplines.
- Learn to think like engineers while building critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience how engineers work in teams to solve local and global challenges.
- Gain insight into what it’s like to study engineering at the university level.
- Engage with professionals working in your field of interest.
- See real-world engineering projects while learning about future academic and career possibilities through exciting trips and tours.
- Build awesome projects that teach engineering concepts by making things like rockets, remote control cars, drones, trebuchets, building and soldering circuits, and much more.
If you want to learn more about all the different fields of engineering, be sure to check out all of our engineering articles below which will help you get a feel of each different subset we have to offer:
- What is Mechanical Engineering?
- What is Civil Engineering?
- What is Aerospace Engineering?
- What is Electrical Engineering?
Learn more about the TryEngineering summer campuses: University of Pennsylvania, University of San Diego, or Rice UniversityCurriculum Overview
Hands-On Design Challenges
Exclusive Guest Speakers
Exciting VIP Tours
and Field Trips
Access University Engineering Labs and Tech Spaces
Tuition for the TryEngineering Summer Institute is all-inclusive, covering all activities, tours, lodging, meals, and transportation while on campus. Both residential and day programs are available.
A limited number of scholarships are available for those that demonstrate financial need. Click the link below to learn how to apply.
Session 1: July 9, 2023 - July 18 , 2023
Session 2: July 21, 2023 - July 30, 2023
Session 1: July 30, 2023 - July 9, 2023
Session 2: July 12, 2023 - July 21, 2023
San Diego, California
Session 1: June 30, 2023 - July 9, 2023
Session 2: July 12, 2023 - July 21, 2023